Monday, December 28, 2015

Derailing the Crazy Train

As 2015 comes to a close, as always, I contemplate the meaning and purpose of the Butterfly Phoenix blog. I have taken the last month to determine in which direction the blog is going to go in 2016.

In the last couple of years, the blog has kind of taken an alternate route on the tracks of the crazy train. It has felt chaotic and without purpose or direction. Well friends, it’s time to derail the crazy train and get back on the Empire Builder.

As a young person, I always wanted to be an author. I wanted to build a life around storytelling; and then real life took over and that dream dwindled into the smoldering ash heap of dreams that I convinced myself would never come true for me.

At forty years old, I made the “now or never” decision that I would write my first novel, Sticks and Bones, which, with all its imperfections, is still my best seller. At the time, I found that the publishing world has changed, for better or worse. It’s still evolving into something new and wonderful. As an author and a blogger, I had to decide how I am going to fit into the landscape.

I don’t have the time or the desire to spend copious amounts of time on social media to join independent author networks. This in itself creates a conundrum of sorts for me. I have come to the acceptance that my books will have to stand on their own and my blog as well. It wasn’t easy, because like everyone else I want to make money too, but at the same time, I am not willing to sacrifice my family and friends for a few coins. I write for the pleasure of it.

So, what does this mean for the Butterfly Phoenix blog? I have made the decision that the theme for 2016 is going to be “Life and Literature.” I am a reader of the classics and the contemporary. I will be discussing the literature I have read, and will read, and how it relates to our lives; mine, yours, and the world’s. The blog publication schedule is once a week, on Sundays.

In 2016, I plan to finish the two books that have been suffering on the crazy train ride, “Prairie on Fire”, and “Scribes.” So, let’s derail this locomotive of destruction and all climb aboard the Empire Builder. It’s time to make dreams come true!

Happy New Year!